The word rodent means to “to gnaw”. Below are a few pesky rodents that may make their way into your home or office.
- Also known as the black rat or ship rat
- Roof rats are smaller and sleeker than the Norway Rat.
- Primarily occupies coastal areas and are very common in seaports
- Adults weigh between 5 and 9 ounces.
- Roof rats are thought of as vegetarians because they prefer fruits, seeds, and vegetables.
- Also known as the house rat
- Are the most widely distributed rat in the United States and are found in all states
- Are Stronger and more aggressive than roof rats
- Can adapt to cool climates better than any other species
- It’s stocky body weighs between 12 and 16 ounces
- Prefers meats and proteins for food
- Largest of the rats
- House Mice came to the United States on boats from Asia in the 1500’s
- House Mice can be found all over North America
- House Mice are nocturnal and use shredded paper, insulation material, and string to form their nests.
- They cause damage in residential and commercial structures.
- Unlike rats, mice like to explore new objects
- House Mice have poor vision, which is compensated by other senses, such as taste, smell, hearing, and touching