Are they Ants or Termites?
- For clues to help distinguish termites from ants, examine the insects wings, waist and antennae.
- While both insects have two pairs of wings, termite wings are relatively equal in size. Ant wings tent to be longer in front and shorter in the back.
- Ants also have a narrow, pinched waist . Termites waists are thicker and less distinct.
- In addition, ants antennae are elbowed, while termites’ are straight.
When do Termites Swarm?
- Termites swarm at various times each year according to geographic regions, species of termite and weather conditions.
- Most subterranean termites normally swarm in the daytime- usually mid-day- when it is sunny and often, right after it rains.
What are Formosan Termites?
- Formosan termites are more aggressive than other subterranean termite species, and reproduce faster.
- A large Formosan colony is capable of consuming wood much faster than other subterranean termites. They’ve been known to chew through lead, asphalt, plaster, mortar, rubber and plastic to get to underlying wood.
- Formosan colonies live in nests , or cartons, which are often underground but may be located about ground where the termites survive without soil contact.
How do I know if my Home has a Termite Infestation?
- Live termites in or around windows and doorframes.
- Mud tunnels, which often disappear into cracks of masonry, in and around doors and window frames or along siding,
- Hollow-sounding walls, baseboards and floors.
- Bulging walls– above ground carton nests of Formosan termites can make inside walls bulge.
- Dead termites or termite wings.
Tips to Reduce the Likelihood of Termite Infestation
- Maintain landscaped areas a few feet away from the foundation of the structure.
- Keep firewood stacked away from the structure.
- Keep crawl spaces and basements clear of wood debris and excess moisture
- Fix faulty drainage and any plumbing or roof leaks that cause moisture to accumulate.
- Routinely check in and around the structure for mud tubes, discarded termite wings and general signs of termite activity.
- If adding a room or deck to the structure , make sure the wood used has been “treated” to discourage termites.
If you witness any telltale signs, you should contact us for Free Inspection of your home for termites. You may need the Sentricon Termite Colony Elimination System.